Each week I ask students to pick a problem that challenged them, or a topic that excited them, and answer the following prompts in their journal:
- What went through your mind when you first encountered the problem?
- What was the difficulty and what were you thinking when you met the difficulty? Or what was your error and what were you thinking when you first realized your error?
- What helped you to understand how to solve it?
- Show how you ended up working it out, and explain your steps and problem solving techniques.
- Discuss the problem solving techniques you used and how this solution uses/connects to other topics.
- What was your mistake and how/what did you learn from it? What do you think about the problem now that you know how to solve it?